International simulcasting to US returns in September from Sha Tin and Happy Valley.
Latest from Candice: 2015 HK HORSES TO FOLLOW BLOG
Candice Hare is a student of the international scene and close follower of the action in Hong Kong.
Look for her BUZZ Report horses to watch from Hong Kong this season.
Hong Kong Racing Links
What's Similar About Hong Kong Racing?
- Features both dirt and turf racing (the all-weather really is dirt).
- Turf conditions are generally very similar to what we see in the US (American firm).
- They have one big international meeting similar to our Breeders' Cup (HKIR in December).
What's Different About Hong Kong Racing?
- Betting is slightly different: most notably only win/place and the inclusion of the swinger bet, in which you need 2 of the first 3 finishers in a race.
- Nearly every horse is a gelding, historically very few fillies and mares.
- Horses' race placements are based off of their rating, which goes up or down based off of performance. Higher ratings band = classier race.
- The Hong Kong Derby, unlike most jurisdictions, is restricted to four-year-olds.